McCann Central are the UK’s largest agency outside of London, with over 500 staff and an amazing and ever-growing client portfolio including Barclays, JCB, Admiral, Hermes, National Express, Sunseeker, General Motors and MasterCard. As part of our continued expansion we are now looking for a talented PHP Team Lead with knowledge and solid proven experience of developing & supporting CMS solutions across multiple countries and markets.
A role not for the faint hearted, we are looking for the very best candidate to lead and inspire an existing team of talented developers. You will have previously worked within an agency, software house or client-side role and managed and mentored a team. Reporting directly into the Technical Director, you will form part of the technical leadership team, helping shape and deliver some of our most complex enterprise solutions.
Role Duties / Tasks
This is the list of duties we would expect the candidate to perform on a regular basis;
- Leadership As the team lead you will be expected to handle the line management of the PHP team; including their career progression, evaluation and skillsets. As the team lead, you will be proactive and take the initiative around our technology stack and tools used, helping to shape our future while also improving our current offerings. Day-to-day, you will spend around 75% of your time doing hands on development work.
- Recruitment Candidate suggestion, vetting and first stage interviews will be part of this role; if candidates are successful with the technical stage of interviews, TD and wider team members will become involved at the second stage. As a team lead, your feedback on the current development team shape and staffing levels will be requested and listened to by TD and management.
- Code Standards You will be required to set & maintain team standards, ensuring that all members are keeping to our guidelines. As part of the wider process work, you will be heavily involved in deployment pipeline configuration, working with static analysis tooling, build methods etc.
- Peer Reviews & Workflow As part of our workflow processes all code developed by the team goes via a peer review, as the team lead part of your role will be to oversee and run this – collaborating with our QA & helpdesk teams – to ensure our output is of a high standard.
- Agile & Processes Most development is handled via scrum or kanban. You will be required to help the project team to create stories, complexity rate tasks, assist with demonstrations and retrospectives.
- Client Involvement As a leadership team member, you will be involved in the wider life cycle of a project. This will mean being involved in client meetings, requirement gathering, estimation, pitch stages and more. You will be acting as a representative of the company in general, and in particular the voice of the technical team. This will mean contributing to the discussions, providing constructive feedback and offering suggestions and new approaches to help our clients and work. Most importantly, we need to ensure what we produce is always improving, by adding value to what we receive to create a better product that we can all be proud of.
- Guidance Assist the Solution Architects and Producers in delivering documentation for projects by giving guidance and recommendations for approach, technology stack and functionality. Help the project teams present in sprint demonstrations completed and complex items to the clients.
Skills / Expertise
5 years or more experience, with significant percentage at an agency or similar environment
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, and conceptual skills along with strong related technical skills, and a history of successfully operating as part of a team that organizes, plans, and executes large-scale projects or assignments from vision to implementation.
- Experience working within an agile environment.
- Ability to work independently
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Broad conceptual knowledge of technologies and methodologies in server / client applications
- Capable of planning and executing complex systems such as booking engines & ecommerce sites
- Advanced experience using industry standard development processes such as TDD & BDD.
- Advanced experience of Git, including CLI usage, as well as associated methodologies such as git flow, pull requests & peer-reviews.
- Advanced knowledge of PHP and frameworks (Laravel in particular)
- Advanced knowledge of MVC principles, repository patterns & similar
- Advanced server and infrastructure experience – knowledge of Azure or AWS tooling
- Experience of using and creating RESTful architecture and external APIs
- Experience with unit testing & automated testing frameworks
- Advanced experience of setting up, creating and using build tooling (such as Jenkins) in a CI / CD workflow
- Experience with system orchestration & administration tools (puppet / chef)
- Experience of containerisation tools such as Docker